Complete the form below to be matched with schools that suit your interests.
Online PhD Programs
In today’s busy and hectic world, demand has grown rapidly for a more convenient way to advance your education while maintaining a career as a working professional. Since the inception of distance learning programs, the amount of online PhD programs has increased dramatically. While limited at first, the selection of available programs now spans most industries like engineering, healthcare, criminal justice, and education.
It can be difficult to wade through all of the available options for PhD and other doctoral degrees. We have created a directory which provides information on the various types as well as available programs. Several subjects are outlined below along with a list of online degrees. We’ve split everything into two larger sections, one focused on popularity and the other by category:
What should I look for in an online PhD program?
At the doctoral level, many fields branch off into research, academic, or leadership specialties, making it critical to find a program that is right for you. Consider important facts about the program such as: accreditation, status as fully online or a hybrid program, and if it prepares graduates to meet requirements (be they certification, exams, or otherwise) for their desired profession.
We have provided a list of common online PhD programs from accredited schools below:
Grand Canyon University
University of the Rockies
List of available online PhD degrees
The programs listed below are accredited and offer PhDs in many of the popular fields of study including, technology, business, education and other popular academic fields. If you are looking for another degree, additional subjects are further discussed in our category pages. Each page outlines salary information, positions you will be prepared for, and schools that offer that particular degree.
Popular PhD Degrees
- PhD in Educational Leadership/Administration — A PhD in Education Leadership or Administration prepares students to take on roles as professors, principals, deans, and other positions in academia.
- PhD in Law — Getting a PhD in Law prepares students for advanced research positions in criminal justice and law. Students go on to become legal researchers, professors, and clerks.
- PhD in Pharmacy — PhD in Pharmacy degrees generally prepares students to go into one of two fields: either they become pharmacists and researchers or they go on to become professors or other positions in educational environments.
- PhD in Physical Therapy — A PhD in Physical Therapy trains students to take on positions in clinical practice as therapists or positions in research.
- PhD in Psychology — A PhD in Psychology is often required in order to become a clinical psychologist. It can also be used to enter research and educational fields.
- PhD in Engineering — Many positions within engineering fields require a PhD in Engineering in order to carry out the necessary tasks. However, it can also prepare students for research or positions in academia.
- PhD in Computer Science — A PhD in Computer Science is generally needed for high level positions in several areas of technology.
PhD Programs by Category
- Business and Management — Business and management doctoral programs cover a wide range of fields such as accounting, finance, project management, and organizational management.
- Computers and Technology — Doctoral degrees in technology prepare students for various advanced positions that deal with software publishing, information systems, and manufacturing.
- Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement — A doctoral degree in Criminal justice and law enforcement prepares students to enter positions within firms or the various levels of government.
- Education — There are several types of doctoral degrees in education that are designed to prepare students to become professors or high level administrators.
- Healthcare and Nursing — A doctorate in healthcare or nursing prepares student for work as doctors, nurse practitioners, researchers, and professors.
- Public Administration — Public administration programs can cover a wide area of work in the educational, public, or health sectors and advances the areas of public safety, community health, and government organization.
- Science and Engineering — Science and engineering doctoral programs are often required for positions in management, research, or academia.